Select from publications, presentations or press
Overview of publications in other media
- Publications, curated by the Dutch SURF Special Interest Groep Open Education.
- Bibliography, curated by ROER4D.
- CORE, search engine for Open Access publications.
- The Review Project, publications with evidence for OER-claims, curated by John Hilton III.
- Research reports from the EdX research consortium.
Prof. Rory McGreal from Athabasca University in Canada maintains the OER Knowledgecloud with publications about open education. The most recent additions are listed:
- Do MOOCs contribute to student equity and social inclusion? A systematic review 2014–18 October 29, 2019In recent years, hopes that Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) would make access to education fairer faded in the light of research showing MOOCs favoured the already educated and relatively advantaged. This paper presents the results of a systematic review of literature from 2014 to 2018. The aim was to investigate the extent that MOOCs […]
- Colorado rises: Transforming education practices through Open Educational Resources October 29, 2019Key Findings Over the past year, CDHE and the OER Council have established a community of learning, practice and innovation. Key findings suggest a meaningful current impact and promising future. Most significantly: 1 Current performance measures indicate a striking return on the State’s initial investment. In addition to a projected $3.4 million in student savings […]
- Research on MOOCs in major referred journals October 8, 2019Over the last decade, several studies have focused on massive open online courses (MOOCs). The synthesis presented here concentrates on these studies and aims to examine the place held by content in these studies, especially those produced between 2012 and 2018: sixty-five peer reviewed papers are identified through five major educational technology research journals. The […]
- MOOCs readiness October 8, 2019This study seeks to investigate the readiness levels of adult students studying in Malaysian higher education institutions. The online questionnaire used in this study consists of 18 demographic variables and 43 items based on six constructs: technical competencies, communication competencies, social competencies, self-efficacy, self-directedness, and readiness. With a sample of 413 respondents, the constructs were […]
- Case study as a research method for analyzing MOOCs October 8, 2019Educational research is one of the many fields of knowledge that frequently use case studies as a research method, particularly when applying an interpretive approach. Based on literature reviews and a systematic analysis of current scientific literature, this paper examines the prevalence and characteristics of the case study as a methodology for research on MOOCs. […]
- Goal setting and MOOC completion October 8, 2019Despite providing advanced coursework online to learners around the world, massive open online courses (MOOCs) have had notoriously low completion rates. Self-regulated learning (SRL) frames strategies that students can use to enhance motivation and promote their engagement, persistence, and performance self-monitoring. Understanding which SRL subprocesses are most relevant to the MOOC learning context can guide […]
- Teaching and learning without a textbook October 8, 2019Given the upsurge of textbook costs, college students increasingly expect universities and instructors to offer alternatives to traditional textbooks. One textbook alternative is using open educational resources (OER). While OER unquestionably save students money, the question remains whether the adoption of OER (instructional materials) is aligned with open pedagogy (methods). This study investigated 46 undergraduate […]
- Open educational resources: Discussion paper March 2019 October 8, 2019This document provides an overview of the main issues related to the use and creation of Open Educational Resources (OER) by CAUT members. It also provides suggestions for implementation, a bibliography for further reading, and a resource list to help instructors locate existing OER.
- MOOCs in the language classroom: Using MOOCs as complementary materials to support self-regulated language learning October 8, 2019In this chapter, the author discusses the role of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) in the field of foreign language education. It examines the relationship between MOOCs and self-regulated learning, and goes on to explore the repurposing of content-based MOOCs as complementary materials to foster students' self-regulated behaviour and practice of the target language inside […]
- Los Recursos Educativos Abiertos (REA) y su contribuciãn a los procesos de enseã‘anza y aprendizaje en la Educaciãn Secundaria August 14, 2019Desde que en 2002 emergiera el concepto de Recursos Educativos Abiertos (REA), Open Educational Resources (OER), en un foro organizado por la UNESCO, crear, compartir, utilizar, modificar y volver a compartir, junto con el uso de licencias libres como las de Creative Commons, son acciones cada vez más extendidas en relación con los recursos que […]